You are here
Our Math Classroom Coaching model transforms whole class instruction into small learning teams with one adult volunteer matched with four or fewer students. Volunteers work throughout the school year with an assigned group of students for 1 hour, once weekly, during the school day. Students are supported with high-engagement learning activities in reading or math that provide opportunities for structured practice and safe, supportive feedback.
APIE Volunteers receive:
- Instructional lessons with easy-to-follow activities
- Initial and on-going training to support your work with students
- On-going support from a dedicated APIE Campus Coordinator
- In-class guidance from teachers
- Opportunities to know and care for a small group of students
- Opportunities to network with other volunteers
AISD determined that the single most important predictor of overall dropout risk is failing either the 9th grade math or reading standardized exams. APIE’s Math Classroom Coaching program supports at-risk students to prepare for high school algebra – a college gatekeeper course that is among the most frequently failed classes in high school.
8th Grade Math Classroom Coaching is a structured, whole class program that helps prepare students for high school algebra by:
- Providing targeted math support to middle school students in Austin ISD’s highest-needs schools
- Expanding mathematical vocabulary
- Improving familiarity with grade-level math objectives
- Building student confidence in mathematical problem-solving
- Matching volunteers with a small group of students for 1 hour per week during the school day